Thursday 21 February 2013

Helpful Brazilians

I think for most people that come not only to Ilhéus but anywhere in Brazil, they will notice how extremely generous the Brazilians are. 

After arriving in Ilhéus after a 26 hour coach journey from Rio, I was met by Maria and Winston who opened their arms and let me into their house and family. Since then they have treated me like their own daughter and showed me the wonderful sites of the city. 

São Sebastian Cathedral



Colourful houses around the town
I have seen an array of beautiful beaches, big and small. I have seen weird and wonderful architecture fom São Sebastian Cathedral to the colourful shanty towns north of the city centre. I have had my breath taken away by the mesmorizing sunsets along the Sapetinga neighbourhood, but for me the best thing is the people. 

Back Door Beach, Ilhéus
Being a gringo and failing to speak decent Portuguese, I was very worried at how difficult life would be . However, the people here will come up to you and ask you if you need help. They will help show you the direction if you need the way, they will offer you to go in front of them at the supermarket if you have a smaller amount of things. Even the other day when I was sat alone at a bar, the woman- also alone- next to me, offered me to join her at her table and share her food. Who would have thought! 

Coming from England- in particular London- it is very rare for a stranger to approach you on the street. Here however, everyone greets you with a "Bom Dia" or "Boa Tarde" and a kiss on each cheek. 

Although their customs can seem strange to me at times, this is a custom I wish England would take up. Such a wonderful way to make you feel welcome and smile when you least expect it. The Brazilians can make you feel right at home, even if home is 5'000 miles away. 


My first sunset, Sapetinga

No comments:

Post a Comment