Tuesday 19 February 2013

British Gringo

For those of you who don´t know, a ´Gringo´is a slang word used by Brazilians to address tourists or foreigner. I was first called the word on my flight from Santiago to Rio. Although at first I took a little offence, the Brazilian lady I was talking to explained its casual meaning.

Since then I have been trying very hard to fit in and not stand out like a sore thumb. Very difficult I might add. Aside from the fact that I am very white, I have coloured eyes which is quite a rareity here in Brazil.
There have been times when I have been casually browsing the super market for example, when I notice a man that has stopped and is staring at me. 'Gringo' he must think.. Even after two months here I still notice this from time to time.

I also have my typical British traits that alone make me look ´strange´. Sitting at the dinner table on my first week here, I found the children would laugh at the fact that I ate with my knife and fork in the opposite hands. I think Europe and most of the world eat with their knife in the right-Brazilians-nope, they like to do things different! I also caused a great deal of laughter when they saw me put milk in my tea. I wish I photographed their faces... "Milk with water??" Even today they still stare in wonder when I do this.

Meal times are very different too;


  • Breakfast is standard; cereal, fresh bread, cheeses, ham, fruits etc.


  • Lunch; This is their main meal of the day. Very odd! I am used to a small lunch, usually on the go but here they all sit down to a large buffet. Everyday the same foods-beans, rice, beef and or chicken and salad. Followed by more fruit. 
  • Dinner; More bread, more cheese, more ham, more fruit!

I think this is actually the healthiest I´ve eaten in a long time. Ive never eaten so many bananas in my life!

So all in all being a gringo, I am getting used to being looked at for being 'strange'.

Having said that, I am loving trying all the new foods, listening to their music and experiencing their customs. I could definately get used to this way of life...maybe I wont end up a gringo after all!


No comments:

Post a Comment