Tuesday 5 March 2013

No Pare le Fiesta!

Brazilians sure no how to party. A chance for friends, family, neighbours and strangers to get together, drink, eat and of course, dance. It feels like every other week I am going to a party to celebrate one thing or another.



I can't talk about Brazilian parties without mentioning the two most important events of Brazil; New Years Eve and Carnaval. 

I'll start with New Years Eve in Rio de Janerio. I arrived 3 days before the event, in time to do some serious sightseeing. Be aware that everyone else thought the same as me. This resulted in queuing for a total of nearly 4 hours to get the top of sugar loaf and back in the 40ºC heat... 

The city was buzzing with everyone arriving and preparing for the big event. I had already brought a white dress to wear for the occasion. The night arrived and so did the other 2 and a half million people.

At 10pm me and a group of friends arrived at the heavily packed Copacobana beach. We danced for hours to the incessant drums and Brazilians beats whilst taking advantage of the street vendors selling capirinhas :)

The 10 minute firework display was incredible. The best display I have ever seen in my life. After, we head to the shore to jump the waves and party until the sun comes up. Incredible. 












Carnaval however, is another kettle of fish. First and foremost, it is not a one night affair, its a 6 night fiasco. Thus be prepared to be tired for a week, maybe even delirious by the end of it. 

In the Camarote
Also, you are not limitied to white attire, this is the all colourful, all crazy party!
I must also add that there is a huge difference in Carnavals across the country, held in the three biggest cities; Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Salvador. I went to Salvador. 

Carnaval in Rio is more of a parade, with dancers and musicians performing down the long streets, lined with seats for spectators to sit and watch the sequins and feathers go by. 

Trio Elctrico
Salvador is not quite so glamorous... Nearly 3 million people pile into the streets to drink, dance, and sing and be a part of the parade itself. Here famous Brazilian artists perform  on a 'trio eletrico'- a large truck transformed into a brightly lit, moving stage. 

As part of my hotel package, I had tickets each night to a 'Camarote'- a stage that over looks the street, artists and thousands of people. With an open bar and constant food, I partied the each night away until the early hours, dancing like a maniac and singing at the top of my voice. Ocassionally running down into the streets to join the masses and follow the trios along their route. 

The atmosphere I cannot describe. Colourful, cramped and crazy is a start. My ears were ringing for a week, my feet ached every day, my liver also moaned a little. However, Carnaval is without a doubt one of the greatest experiences of my life so far.  

I unfortunately must add that tourists are easily spotted, and with a few too many capirinha's in me, I was not as careful as I should have been, which resulted in the loss of my camera-including all Carnaval and New Years photos and videos. A major loss that I am still mourning. Yet I feel that despite this, I have the most important memories in my mind that no one can steal from me! 

Thankfully my friends also had cameras so I have a few to show... Please don't miss this event, and please get camera insurance!



Copacobana, New Years Day





No comments:

Post a Comment